Image quality is what distinguishes a great presentation from a good one. That’s why materials, reflections, shadows and lighting have been taken to a new level in Lumion 6. These features and hundreds of other improvements have been enabled by a major overhaul of Lumion´s render engine. The results are now more compelling and realistic than ever.
Movie & Photo Mode
- Hyperlight® 2 (Lumion Pro only): Completely redesigned algorithm which greatly improves the quality of still image renderings. The number of light bounces has been increased from 2 to 16 and the result is silky smooth lighting, even in dimly lit interiors. Render times are also significantly faster. Please note that this function only works for single image renderings, not for movies.
- Reflection effect: New SpeedRay™ Reflections function (Lumion Pro only) – a great new alternative to planar reflections but far less resource-intensive. This function makes it possible for reflective materials to reflect their surroundings.
- Reflection effect: Planar reflections are now blurred based on the Gloss value of reflective materials which results in more realistic reflections.
- Shadow effect: New OmniShadow™ function which improves the quality of ambient shadows, even far away from the camera.
- Depth of Field effect: This effect has been remade from scratch to improve the visual quality. The effect now includes cinematic “Bokeh” presets and an Auto Focus function.
- New Autumn Generator effect: The colors of green parts of trees and plants in a scene can now be animated to simulate changing seasons. Tress and plants must be in the same Layer as set in the effect.
- New Animate Spotlight Colors effect: The colors of Spotlights can now be animated, along with the intensity to create fading lights. Multiple instances of this effect can be used in the same clip or movie.
- New Styrofoam effect: This new effect makes your design look like a scale model cut from styrofoam material. The softness and color of the styrofoam can be configured to create the look you want.
Movie Mode Only
- Mass Move effect: It is now possible to make curved paths with multiple path points and custom smoothness. In addition, path animations now work on sloping terrain.
Photo Mode Only
- Hyperlight© 2 (Lumion Pro only): Please refer to the description of this function in the Movie mode section above.
- New “Remove” button for saved camera slots. Removes the camera snapshot but leaves the effects in place for later snapshots.
- 20 new animated 3D people from aXYZ Design (Lumion Pro only).
- 77 new plants (Lumion Pro only).
- 135 new trees (Lumion Pro only).
- 20 new sounds (Lumion Pro only).
- New silhouette functionality for animated 3D people: White, grey or black (via Edit Properties).
- New “People” option for Transport models (via Edit properties). Turning this option on makes most of the models appear with drivers and passengers in them.
- New PureGlass® – an Advanced Glass material type with 80 glass preset types (It is currently not possible to add your own textures to Advanced Glass materials). Create glass with Opaqueness, translucency or frosted glass.
- More detailed and accurate simulation of materials such as fabric, rubber, concrete, stone, skin and terrain.
- The Gloss property has been updated. If you’re using reflective materials, you may have to increase this slider value after loading a model made in earlier versions of Lumion.
- New Wet Asphalt material.
Import & Export
- Safe Mode: Intelligent mechanism that detects which application and version number FBX and DAE files are exported from. Based on this information, Lumion fixes geometry issues such as missing faces and flipped normals while importing the model.
- FBX: FBX 2016 files are now supported, e.g. exported from AutoDesk® 3DS Max® 2016 and AutoDesk® Maya® 2016.
- DWG: The DWG importer is now a separate installer.
- DWG: Improved reliability and speed when importing DWG files.
- DWG: Added support for additional AutoDesk® AutoCAD® Architecture® AEC objects (Walls, windows etc).
- New Portfolio Management option in MyLumion® (Beta). This function allows you to delete MyLumion® projects as well as edit the title and description text.
- Lumion now supports Unicode. It is now possible to use foreign characters, e.g. Japanese, Chinese, Hebrew, Greek and Cyrillic when saving/loading scenes, LS files, textures, materials, Material Sets, Movie effects etc in Lumion. The dedicated Exporters (Revit To Lumion Bridge and ArchiCAD To Lumion Bridge) have also been updated.
- It is now possible to save LS6 files in Lumion (Normal).
- Improved sky realism. Improved sky and cloud realism when adjusting the Sun and Cloud effects to give those sunrise and sunset looks you are after.